Here’s what you need to know!
Community Forklift is a 40,000 square foot self-serve reuse center. We do not have an inventory list, so you will need to visit in-person to see if a specific item is in stock. Thousands of items come in and out of the warehouse each week, so remember: if you see something you like today, act fast because it may be gone tomorrow!
We are located at 4671 Tanglewood Drive in Edmonston, MD (just outside NE DC in the Hyattsville area) .
Our warehouse is open Monday 10-6, Tuesday 10-6, Wednesday 10-7, Thursday 10-6, Friday 10-6, Saturday 9-6, and Sunday 9-6
(If you are making a donation or picking up a bulky item, you must arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.)
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR VISIT
- Dress very warmly– due to the concrete floor and walls, it is often colder inside our warehouse than it is outside! This means hats, gloves, long johns, heavy coats, etc. You may get dusty while hunting for treasure, so don’t dress your best! Shirts & shoes required.
- This is a working warehouse. Keep a close watch on your children so that they do not dive off a loading dock or tip something heavy onto their siblings. Unattended children may be eaten by Purple Polka-dotted Trash Monsters.
- Friendly, well-behaved pets are welcome, and may attract head pats and belly rubs. They must be on a leash at all times.
- Bring your specific measurements and a tape measure. Bring a sample if you are trying to match a specific color or style—remember, there are no returns on most items!
- If you are making a donation, or picking up a large bulky item, you must arrive at least a half hour before closing time. Although our checkout desk closes at 6pm (and 7pm on Wednesdays), our courtyard and loading bays close at 5:30 pm (6:30pm on Wednesdays). We are strict about this policy for safety reasons. It also ensures that all Forklift Fans will have enough time to load or unload their vehicle and exit the courtyard by closing time.
- Ask staff for help if you find something you will need a ladder to reach–otherwise it is a self-serve warehouse. You are welcome to use the shopping carts, dollies, hand trucks, and flat carts.
- People who switch or remove price tags are indeed shoplifters. Shoplifters will be prosecuted, banned from the store, or held upside-down over an old toilet. Likewise, folks who remove “Sold” stickers are mean people, and they will get what’s coming to them someday.
- We put a lot of time and research into setting prices, so we discourage haggling. However, if you feel there is a possible price error, please inquire at the checkout, and you will be asked to wait patiently until a manager can investigate. If you still remain unhappy with the price, you are encouraged to keep an eye on our Facebook or Twitter feeds, where we announce frequent flash sales.
- We do not accept American Express. We do accept cash, checks, Visa, Master Card, and Discover.
RETURN POLICY: All sales are final, so please inspect items carefully before you check out! We are very happy to open sealed boxes for you at the front desk so that you may look at the item before you purchase it.
The only exception to this rule is for appliances, radiators, and designated machines (these items come with a 14-day return policy if they don’t work when you install them. You must bring your receipt and the item back to the store to receive your refund). Also, reconditioned appliances from our consignment partner may come with a longer warranty – please ask a Reuse Associate for details.
LOADING INTO YOUR VEHICLE: Please bring an appropriate vehicle and friends to help you get your materials home safely. Community Forklift staffers and volunteers are not able to help load items into your vehicle. However, once you have purchased your item(s), we do offer one week of free storage. This will give you time to round up strong friends or hire folks to help you move, to borrow or rent a truck, etc.