Truck Helper Needed for Green Business
Community Forklift (CF) is seeking a part-time Truck Helper to work with our growing green business. This person will represent the organization by picking up used and surplus building materials in the DC metro area. Responsibilities include picking up building materials from a wide variety of sites including homes, construction sites and other difficult to access areas and unloading them at Community Forklift.
Qualities of the perfect candidate
- Physically active with the capacity to perform physical labor and moderate to heavy lifting in a non-climate controlled environment including the ability to work in all seasons and in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to carefully load and secure materials onto the truck and offload at a warehouse location
- Ability to use computer scheduling and an iPad for navigation
- Exercises sound judgment and common sense
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong English speaking skills, bilingual Spanish speaking skills a plus!
- Working knowledge of building materials or architectural salvage
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for recycling, reuse, sustainability, environmental advocacy and green business
About the Position
- Recognize acceptable and unacceptable materials for pick-up and provide information to donors and customers about those items
- Ensure that each donation picked up has all parts and pieces labeled and attached
- Assist in keeping equipment and truck organized, tidy and in good working order
- Provide excellent customer service to donors as well as answer questions about Community Forklift’s mission
- 12–16 hours a week, some weekends required
- $11 per hour
- Opportunity for advancement as the business grows
About Community Forklift
Community Forklift is a nonprofit reuse center for home improvement and architectural salvage. The store accepts donations of new, gently-used and vintage building materials; these donated renovation supplies are then made available to the public at low prices and donated to local nonprofits. Community Forklift is located outside Northeast DC, near the Hyattsville Arts District.
Send: 1) resume, 2) cover letter, and 3) three professional references by email to COOCommunityForklift(at)gmail.com, by mail to Truck Helper Position, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781; or by fax to (301) 985-5182.