Save the date…
Community Forklift is helping to sponsor the 1st Annual Silver Spring Maker Faire! MAKE SOMETHING AMAZING & CHECK OUT INVENTIONS OF ALL KINDS!
Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire
Sunday, September 29, 2013
12 pm- 5 pm
At Veterans Plaza and
The Silver Spring Civic Building
(Corner of Fenton and Ellsworth)
This family-friendly event showcases the amazing work of all kinds of makers across the greater DC area and beyond—anyone who is embracing the DIY or DIT (do-it-together!) spirit and wants to share their accomplishments with an appreciative audience. We are especially interested in exhibits that are interactive or highlight the process of making things.
- Entry Open Date: May 1, 2013. Please enter early so we can reserve space for your exhibit.
- Entry Close Date: June 30, 2013
- Notification Date for Makers: July 24, 2013
- For Entry Form, click the “Makers Apply Here” button on the right sidebar.
The first step to participate in the Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire is to submit an entry that tells us about your project. Entries can be submitted from individuals as well as from groups such as hobbyist clubs and schools. You can apply as a Maker, Commercial Maker (individual makers primarily selling their creations—$200 booth fee), Workshop leader, Presenter, or Performer. (Food vendors and business sponsors – please write email@example.com for more information.) We particularly encourage exhibits that are interactive and highlight the process of making things.
Filters and criteria for selection may include:
- Maker-themed: Talking about, showing or demonstrating something you made.
- Doable: Deliverable at a high quality within the constraints of time and resources available on our stage.
- Accessible: Engaging, inclusive, understandable to the audience (manner of delivery, academic level of content and logistics).
- Relevant: Addressing important and timely issues of both today and the future.
- Appropriate: The Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire is a family-friendly celebration and therefore all materials and activities must be appropriate for a family audience.
- Wow! Fun, exciting, cool, clever, experiential, and conveying the sense of awe and wonder that is at the heart of discovery and achievement.
Here are some suggested ideas for topics that we’re looking for:
- Kinetic & Installation Art
- Music Performance
- Hacks of Any Sort
- Homesteader Projects
- Workshops and Speakers
- 3D Printers & Digital Fabrication
- Textile Arts and Crafts
- Student Projects
- Rockets and RC Toys
- Green Tech
- Radios, Vintage Computers and Game Systems
- Electric Vehicles
- Biology/Biotech and Chemistry Projects
- Bicycles and Human-Powered Machines
- Shelter (Tents, Domes, etc.)
- Unusual Tools or Machines
- How to Fix Things or Take them Apart (Vacuums, Clocks, Washing Machines, etc.)
Maker Exhibit Space: Our standard setup for a Maker exhibit is a 10′x10′ space. If you need more space for your exhibit display, demonstration or activity, please let us know.
Questions: If you have any questions about participating in the Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
Performers and Presenters: We want YOU to present or perform at the Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire. We are looking for stage programs that will engage makers and visitors of all ages and backgrounds. Stage Programs should be 10 – 30 minutes in length. To ensure that all stage programs are appropriate and engaging for our audience, all stage program submissions will be reviewed by our volunteer team. We will e-mail all applicants by August 7 to let you know if we will be able to include you in this year’s Faire.