Discover a warehouse full of home-improvement items, for half the price! Community Forklift is turning 7 ½ years old, and we’ll be celebrating with a half-birthday party. Join us for half-price special sales, live music, and DIY workshops!
- 9:30-10:30: Panmasters (Steel Drums)
- 11:00-12:00: Wild Anacostias (New Orleans Jazz Band)
- 12:30-1:30: Doublethink (Acoustic Rock)
- 2:00-3:00: Julie Barnet (South American Folk Music)
- 3:30-4:30: M.R. Jam Band (Classic Rock/R&B)
Attend an array of DIY workshops to inspire you to complete your half-finished projects!
- 9:30-10:30: Handtools 101 – presented by Mr Fix-it
Mr Fix-it will be giving hands-on demonstrations to show you how to use a variety of basic handtools. Find a funky old tool in our 50% off tool sale? Bring it over to the Resource Room and ask the expert!
- 11:00-12:00: Watermelon Carving – presented by Oswald Fernandes
Oswald Fernandes, a professional chef and Kitchen Artist, will lead a demonstration of traditional fruit carving techniques.
- 12:30-1:30: Introduction to Backyard Chicken Coop Design – presented by Ryan Cooper
Ryan will cover the basics of what to consider as you plan and build housing for a backyard chicken flock. We will cover issues such as coop size and dimensions, predator protection, insulation and ventilation, ease of cleaning, and much more.
- 2:00-3:00: Rain Barrel Installation – presented by Ben Hackett of District Garden
It’s rain barrel season! Ben Hackett will discuss residential rainwater management, and go over the basics of why and how to install rain barrels. He’ll demonstrate with CF’s new model rain barrel, installed courtesy of District Garden.
- 3:30-4:30: How to restore an antique table – presented by Charles Thomas of Millinium Properties
Charles Thomas will be talking about the antique furniture restoration process and demonstrating techniques on an antique table he has restored.
One free raffle ticket to all party-goers! Buy more tickets to increase your chances. Winners will be called every hour between bands.
DC’s first and only traveling culinary carnival, the fojol bros. Merlindian food truck
will be serving up its delightments in our courtyard from 11am-3pm. The fojol bros. serve delicious and healthy meals with no preservatives, offering both vegetarian and meat dishes. The fojol bros. go the extra mile for our planet by serving their food with certified biodegradable & compostable utensils, and delivering used eating materials to recycling and composting facilities.
Bring your best half-themed birthday cake by 11am to be entered into the contest. Cakes will be judged by Forklift Fans based on their visual appearance and how well they represent the “half-birthday” theme. Gift certificates will be awarded to the bakers with the most votes! We’ll serve the cakes as soon as the winners are announced, at noon.
Creative Activities for Children of All Ages!
Mike McMullin orchestrates “Community Site Painting”, a process whereby participants in gathered groups are asked to collaborate in an expressive activity capturing some of the feelings of the moment, using paint to get their message out, to record the energy that brings them together. Help us create a community painting to decorate our Reuse Resource Room!
SCRAP-DC will be partnering with Community Forklift to host a crafting area where Forklift Fans and their children can engage in creating fun musical instruments from recycled materials.
Half-Price Specials, only on June 15th!
- Take 50% off the marked price on all CF appliances. (Sale does not include items with missing or damaged price tags, items from our consignment partners, or select specialty items.)
- Take 50% off Tools! CF Power and Hand Tools are 50% off. (Sale does not include hardware, items from our consignment partners, or select specialty items.)
- Take 50% off any piece of Granite & Marble Countertop. (Sale does not include sink vanities, kitchen cabinet sets, stone tile, other stone, or select specialty items.)