Have you been meaning to visit Community Forklift for a while, and just haven’t gotten around to it?
Make a day of it! There is a LOT of fun stuff going on within walking distance of our warehouse this weekend (Check out this long list from the Anacostia Trails Heritage Area )
Here is what our staff recommends for a fun-filled Saturday:
1) Have breakfast nearby (we love the quiche, scones, and iced coffee at Shortcake Bakery. Lots of stuff in their dining room came from Community Forklift, including that giant red chandelier, and tables made from reclaimed doors! The Pupusaria Morazan also makes a yummy breakfast)
2) Stop at Community Forklift to see what’s new, and check out our August sales (including the great deal on plaster trim!).
3) Take a stroll around the block to ECO City Farms, where you can tour the urban farm and meet their chickens at 12:30pm (Their outdoor kitchen cabinets, as well as a lot of other materials, came from Community Forklift!).
4) Then make your way to the Bladensburg Waterfront Park for the Battle of Bladensburg Bicentennial Celebration!!! You can check out the brand-spanking-new Battle of Bladensburg Visitor Center, as well as constumed interpreters, an interactive shipwright, a camp surgeon, an impressment station, period music, musket and cannon demonstrations, encampments, food vendors, and more.
5) Relax with an evening boat ride at the Bladensburg Waterfront Park, starting at 5 pm.
6) Have dinner at Busboys and Poets in Hyattsville, where you can enjoy locally-grown food from ECO City Farms, and try to guess which parts of the artwork on the wall and ceiling were created from Community Forklift materials.