Position Title: Reuse Associate
Company: Community Forklift, Thrift Store for Home Improvement
Location: Inside the Washington Beltway, 5 minutes from DC in the Hyattsville area
Community Forklift is lifting up communities
• making repairs more affordable for low-income individuals, homeowners, small businesses, and nonprofits;
• creating local jobs and economic growth;
• keeping reusable items out of the landfill; and
• reducing demand for virgin material
• fostering a sustainable and healthy community
• has knowledge and/or experience and interest in building materials and/or construction
• has experience in a retail store or working directly with customers
• has strong English speaking skills; strong Spanish speaking and writing skills are a BIG plus
• will be friendly, patient and courteous while assisting customers and donors
• Not only tolerates but *enjoys* being around a very diverse range of people (our staff, customers, and donors come from all walks of life)
• Is committed to our mission and values
• is interested in green building or environmentally sustainable business
• is able to work in a busy environment with attention to detail
• is able to do physical labor, and moderate to heavy lifting in all seasons (the warehouse is NOT temperature controlled)
About the Position
• Provide a high level of customer assistance and information
• Check customers out at the cash register and assist them with any related questions or needs
• Answer the phone and provide information on the store, store policy, directions, our products, and other recycling & reuse options
• Assist with unloading and moving building materials in our warehouse
• Accept donations at the loading dock :
o Identify acceptable and unacceptable materials
o Ensure that all donations have all parts and pieces labeled and attached
o Fill out tax forms for donors
• A big plus: ability to gather information from donors and customers (for example, stories about where historic materials came from, or stories about how customers plan to re-use the items)
• Assist in labeling product and stocking shelves
• Assist in the cleaning and organization of product and store displays
• Depending on skill — help build displays, repair/disassemble product, provide carpentry assistance with various projects
• Work cooperatively with other staff to fulfill the mission of Community Forklift;
• Participate enthusiastically in organizational activities and meetings
• Provide clear and direct communication about challenges and concerns to supervisors and co-workers
• Have a clear commitment to the CF mission and be willing to go the extra mile.
• 40% employee discount on CF store materials (consignment products not included)
• Free vision insurance
• Work shoe allowance
• Paid leave after probationary period
• Opportunity to contribute to improving the environment and the community
• Significant opportunity for growth
As a small start-up organization, we think this is a fun place to work! You will learn firsthand about the challenges of running a sustainable business / nonprofit, you can gain experience in a variety of areas, and you won’t be stuck behind a desk. As our business grows, we want you to grow with us!
This is a part-time position approximately 15 — 20 hours per week. We are seeking someone with weekend and weekday daytime availability. The schedule for this position is likely to be Tuesday, Friday and Sunday hours. Our work week is currently Tuesday – Sunday.
We’re 5 minutes from the DC line – easily accessible from I-295, Kenilworth Ave, and Route 1 / Rhode Island Ave. It’s within walking distance of several bus lines and bike paths.
- Location: Hyattsville, MD
- Compensation: Hourly: $11
- This is a part-time job – although you may have the option to become full-time eventually, as our business grows.
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.